The Noggin Quote of the Day (or Week or Month)

"I'm going to bike [the] Tour de France. With Mommy and Papa" - The Noggin

Monday, July 9, 2012

I've probably made wiser choices in the past

It's less than a week until my first triathlon of the season.  In the last couple of days, a few things have come to my attention:

  1. I am either a.)[over]confident or b.) not that smart to have signed for an olympic distance triathlon as my return to racing - I'm pretty sure it is the latter, because I have never been that confident about swimming or biking.
  2. I am not a very good bike handler - While I survived my first ride trying out the aero bars, there was a close call when I tried to clip and get into the aero position at the same time.  You probably guessed that I am not that talented.  Luckily, there were no cars nearby or there might have been some ugliness on route 9 in NJ. Side note on that ride - there was a small mishap where I was hurt in a place I will not speak of by my crossbar.  I doubt it's necessary to say more.
  3. It's been awhile since I have done this sort of thing -  After my last foray into the ocean to test out my wetsuit, The Russian hung it up to dry and I noticed that the markings from my last tri had imprinted themselves on the inside. Last time I raced I was 31 (see the left leg) and my number was 270 (see the right leg). Now I'm 35 - I've moved up an entire age bracket since that last one.

Somehow, these things together make me quite a bit nervous for Sunday.  Not to say that I think it will be the hardest thing that I have ever done (I will reserve that distinction for childbirth  and the eighteen years that follow). However, I do think that it will be quite challenging and I really hope that I'm up for it.  More importantly, I hope it goes well, because other wise I am in deep for Pumpkinman, which is less than two months away (yikes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment